List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Neil J Mackie Date:April 20 2005 9:34am
Subject:Re: Compiling library in Windows
View as plain text
I have great sympathy with the problems Nicholas is having. I have tried VC++98, VC++2003
and VC++2005 Express Beta 2 and they all have problems.

VC++98 a.k.a. VC++ 6 is seriously broken according to http://tangentsoft.net/mysql++/ .

The free VC++2003 which I believe is VC++7.1 is command line only, but the MySQL++
distribution does not include any suitable scripts for building the MySQL++ library so
the command line tools cannot be used. The project file included in the distribution
(which I presume is for the VC++7.1 IDE) is not useful with the command line tools.

The free VC++ 2005 Express Beta 2 (which I believe is VC++ 8.0) does read the project file
included in the MySQL++ distribution (although it 'upgrades' it) however the build very
quickly fails because it cannot find 'windows.h' which is included from 'platform.h' . I
have searched the files installed by VC++2005 and 'windows.h' does not appear to be one
of them, so as far as I can tell MySQL++ does not build under VC++ 8.

Warren's suggestion to write a Makefile is a logical step but not something you would ask
someone who is new to the package to do. Most windows developers are not familiar with
command line tools and I'd like to suggest the following:

1) Generate a Makefile from the VC++7.1 IDE using the VC++7.1 project file supplied with
the distribution( VC++6.0 IDE could do this so I'm assuming it is also in 7.1) and
include this Makefile in the distribution.

2) Provide a distribution containing Windows binarys. This would avoid the need to build
and the developers must build these otherwise how could MySQL++ be tested on the Windows
platform.

SURELY there is someone on this list who has the full VC++ 7.1 IDE and can generate a
Makefile or binary and make it available?

Regards,
Neil (J Mackie).
Thread
Compiling library in WindowsNicholas Watmough19 Apr
  • Re: Compiling library in WindowsWarren Young20 Apr
Re: Compiling library in WindowsNeil J Mackie20 Apr
  • Re: Compiling library in WindowsChris Frey20 Apr
  • Re: Compiling library in WindowsWarren Young20 Apr
  • Re: Compiling library in WindowsNeil J Mackie21 Apr
    • Re: Compiling library in WindowsWarren Young21 Apr
      • Re: Compiling library in WindowsZahroof Mohamed21 Apr
        • Re: Compiling library in WindowsWarren Young21 Apr
Re: Compiling library in WindowsAndrew Zhu22 Apr