List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Warren Young Date:April 19 2005 11:45pm
Subject:Re: Compiling library in Windows
View as plain text
Nicholas Watmough wrote:

> The webpage suggests downloading the Visual C++ 2003 toolkit,

Have you considered installing the VC++ 2005 beta?  It includes the IDE,
I believe.  Since they talk about an "Express" version on that page, I
expect that this IDE will continue to either be free or inexpensive once
the final product is released.  Realize that Microsoft is feeling
competition from Mac OS X and Linux, both of which ship with
high-quality free development tools, so this looks to me like a move to
do something similar.

But I could be wrong.

> How can I compile it using only the command line tool?

If you know Makefile syntax, use cl and nmake.  If you do this, I will
definitely include those Makefiles in the distribution.

> Or is it possible to compile using another Windows C++ compiler, like
> MingW.

People have been reporting problems getting MinGW-built libraries to
work properly.  I don't think this is an insurmountable problem, but
nobody has yet mustered the willpower to seriously investigate the
problem.  Since the major maintainers don't use MinGW, it's not likely
to get fixed "from within", if you know what I mean.
Thread
Compiling library in WindowsNicholas Watmough19 Apr
  • Re: Compiling library in WindowsWarren Young20 Apr
Re: Compiling library in WindowsNeil J Mackie20 Apr
  • Re: Compiling library in WindowsChris Frey20 Apr
  • Re: Compiling library in WindowsWarren Young20 Apr
  • Re: Compiling library in WindowsNeil J Mackie21 Apr
    • Re: Compiling library in WindowsWarren Young21 Apr
      • Re: Compiling library in WindowsZahroof Mohamed21 Apr
        • Re: Compiling library in WindowsWarren Young21 Apr
Re: Compiling library in WindowsAndrew Zhu22 Apr