List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Warren Young Date:March 11 2005 11:34pm
Subject:libmysqlpp.so minor version numbers?
View as plain text
It's probably possible to convince libtool to generate libraries with an
incrementing minor version number, indicating a bug fix/maintenance
release that doesn't add significant new features or otherwise change
the ABI.

For instance, the next release could be 4.0.1 or 4.1.0.  Which we get
depends on how libtool does things -- this is not fully under our
control.  This is also the Linux-centric view; it can be different on
other platforms.

This will add some overhead to the effort of making each new release.
The question is, will it be valuable?  One would have to have programs
that link against the full library version, not against libmysqlpp.so or
libmysqlpp.so.4, for this to be helpful.  The idea would be that you can
install a new version of the library without making all your existing
binaries use the new version.  Personally, I always want my binaries to
use the newest version, so this feature would be of no value to me.

Comments, questions, complaints?
Thread
libmysqlpp.so minor version numbers?Warren Young12 Mar
  • Re: libmysqlpp.so minor version numbers?Chris Frey12 Mar
    • Re: libmysqlpp.so minor version numbers?Warren Young15 Mar
  • Re: libmysqlpp.so minor version numbers?Chris Frey12 Mar
    • Re: libmysqlpp.so minor version numbers?Warren Young15 Mar
      • Re: libmysqlpp.so minor version numbers?Chris Frey19 Mar
        • RE: libmysqlpp.so minor version numbers?Chris Gagnon20 Mar
RE: libmysqlpp.so minor version numbers?Chris Gagnon20 Mar