List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Imperio59 Date:March 7 2005 7:57pm
Subject:Re: Using mysql++ with a server.
View as plain text
My only concern with keeping the connection alive was that if our MOD
gets very popular (and hopefully it will be), it could potentially mean
upwards of 1000 connections on the mysql server open at all times, I
don't know enough about Web Servers and such to know if this is an
extreme load or something a good strong server can handle without any
problems.

There is precedent in the community with the Natural Selection MOD for
HL1 wich did the same thing (fetching a list of suscribers with a mysql
link) and the rumor is that they've had to beef up their server many
times to handle all the stress they were getting, so I guess they must
have been keping the connection alive for the entire duration of the map
round.

I guess i will put it in this way for now, and if there are load issues
with our web servers in the future i will reconsider then, but for now
it sounds like a good solution to me ;)