List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Warren Young Date:March 7 2005 7:32pm
Subject:Re: Documentation
View as plain text
Steve Mansfield wrote:

> Indeed - as I go through the manual (which, on reflection, is really, *really*
> awful) I'm having a lot of those 'huh?' moments. Trouble is, at this stage I
> don't know whether those are caused by my lack of knowledge about C++ or just
> obscurity in the manual itself.

The problem isn't that the manual is obscure, it's that it's a reference
manual, not a tutorial.  Sure, there's stuff in there that tries to be a
tutorial, but they should be separated out and clarified.  We should
either have two manuals, or at least a manual in two sections.  What a
newbie wants from a manual is not the same thing that those of us who
have been using MySQL++ for years want.

The tutorial should be built around the existing examples.  Where
insufficient examples exist to support the flow of the tutorial, write
more examples.

I don't think anything should be done about the reference manual right
now.  I'll probably initiate that effort myself, using Doxygen or
something like it:

	http://sourceforge.net/projects/doxygen/

> So, if anyone on the writing team

Um, so far, you and Earl are the team.  Go team.  :)

> wants to send me the current version of the manual,

You have the current version.  The last time it was touched was nearly 4
years ago, when 1.7.9 was released.
Thread
DocumentationJoachim Person6 Mar
  • Re: DocumentationEarl Miles6 Mar