List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ibrahim Mubarak Date:February 15 2005 6:11pm
Subject:Re: Legacy exceptions in MySQL++ considered harmful
View as plain text
--- Warren Young <mysqlpp@stripped> wrote:

> Chris Frey wrote:
>
> >> Do you remember algo.h, for instance?
> >
> > No.  I've used C++ for many years, but grew into STL gradually, and I'm
> > still growing.  Compiler support was usually ahead of my adoption of the
> > features. (luckily)
>
> <oldmanvoice>Well, sonny, back when I was a boy...oh, '94 it was...STL
> was a product of HP Labs and hadn't been accepted by the C++ Standards
> committee yet.  It was written for Borland C++, the only mainstream
> compiler at the time that could handle the advanced syntax.  Now, this
> was before Windows 95, so all the filenames were in 8.3 format.
> Standard C++ exceptions didn't exist yet, the std namespace didn't
> exist, the Committee hadn't dropped the .h from the header names, and
> the global new operator didn't throw exceptions.  Yes, m'boy, we had it
> tough back then.  But we were happy...</oldmanvoice>
>
> You now know this file as <algorithm>, of course.

Well, I am another one of these "young boys"! I went to the university (or college as we
called
it) in fall of 1998. My first look at C++ (or C for that matter) was in the first semester
there.
My first book in this field was "C++ How To Program Second Edition" by Deitel and Deitel
(still
got it next to me, hehe). It has a whole chapter on STL. As you can see, I didn't get the
chance
to try it the old fashioned way!! No trace of algo.h, just <algorithm> in the book!
But I do
remember the Borland vs VC++ wars ;) Yep, never got to develop any C/C++ under anything
else but
windows, what a shame.

But now, back to our topic: I am developing a C++ game server that uses mysql. My
development
environment is Debian GNU/Linux sid, ie g++ 3.3. The application is destined for a redhat
server,
so my code will stay in the linux domain. All of this just to say that I donthe Standard C++ exception hierarchy.

However, I should note that the project I am working on is an open source one and that we
are only
two developers working on this game for now. I bet that if we looked at companies and
their needs,
things would be very different. They don't take the decision to upgrade to new
technologies that
easily.

But hey, we haven't heard from them yet.

ib