List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Warren Young Date:February 14 2005 11:34pm
Subject:Re: Legacy exceptions in MySQL++ considered harmful
View as plain text
Chris Frey wrote:

>> Do you remember algo.h, for instance?
>
> No.  I've used C++ for many years, but grew into STL gradually, and I'm
> still growing.  Compiler support was usually ahead of my adoption of the
> features. (luckily)

<oldmanvoice>Well, sonny, back when I was a boy...oh, '94 it was...STL
was a product of HP Labs and hadn't been accepted by the C++ Standards
committee yet.  It was written for Borland C++, the only mainstream
compiler at the time that could handle the advanced syntax.  Now, this
was before Windows 95, so all the filenames were in 8.3 format.
Standard C++ exceptions didn't exist yet, the std namespace didn't
exist, the Committee hadn't dropped the .h from the header names, and
the global new operator didn't throw exceptions.  Yes, m'boy, we had it
tough back then.  But we were happy...</oldmanvoice>

You now know this file as <algorithm>, of course.
Thread
Legacy exceptions in MySQL++ considered harmfulWarren Young14 Feb
  • Re: Legacy exceptions in MySQL++ considered harmfulChris Frey14 Feb
    • Re: Legacy exceptions in MySQL++ considered harmfulWarren Young14 Feb
      • Re: Legacy exceptions in MySQL++ considered harmfulChris Frey14 Feb
        • Re: Legacy exceptions in MySQL++ considered harmfulWarren Young15 Feb
          • Re: Legacy exceptions in MySQL++ considered harmfulIbrahim Mubarak15 Feb