List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Warren Young Date:February 14 2005 7:40pm
Subject:Re: Legacy exceptions in MySQL++ considered harmful
View as plain text
Chris Frey wrote:

> the at() function is part of the std::vector<> class.

Not on all platforms.  How far back with STL do you go?  Do you remember
algo.h, for instance?

> mysql++ uses the new operator,

You're referring to the out-of-memory exception, of course.  But again,
this is a relatively recent addition to mainstream C++ compilers.

While most of what we consider Standard C++ today was codified by, oh,
1998 or so, support for it in mainstream compilers has taken years to
appear.  And since we can't get rid of all the legacy machines, and
upgrading compilers is sometimes impractical, there's a lot of old
compilers still out there.

The question that faces us is, are any of the compilers MySQL++
currently works with among the list of those that don't support the
Standard C++ exception hierarchy?  We've tightened the list of supported
compilers a lot under my short maintainership, but I'm not eager to
tighten it further.  It's seductive to look at the world through a
g++3-only lens.
Thread
Legacy exceptions in MySQL++ considered harmfulWarren Young14 Feb
  • Re: Legacy exceptions in MySQL++ considered harmfulChris Frey14 Feb
    • Re: Legacy exceptions in MySQL++ considered harmfulWarren Young14 Feb
      • Re: Legacy exceptions in MySQL++ considered harmfulChris Frey14 Feb
        • Re: Legacy exceptions in MySQL++ considered harmfulWarren Young15 Feb
          • Re: Legacy exceptions in MySQL++ considered harmfulIbrahim Mubarak15 Feb