List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chris Frey Date:February 14 2005 6:31pm
Subject:Re: Legacy exceptions in MySQL++ considered harmful
View as plain text
On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 09:21:11AM -0700, Warren Young wrote:
> I'm beginning to think that it's time that all the legacy exception
> stuff in MySQL++ should die.  It was created in a time long ago, when
> not all C++ compilers supported Standard C++ exceptions.  Now that we've
> moved the bar up so high w.r.t. compilers that we support, is this
> feature even necessary any more?

I'm all for this.

I think exceptions should be arranged in a heirarchy anyway, to give the
user the choice in how to deal with them, and the old mysql++ exceptions
don't give the user that choice.

> - I could, in good conscience, accept Chris Frey's Row::operator[] at()
> patch.

I don't think this is a conscience issue. :-)  C++ programmers should be
aware that any C++-oriented exceptions can occur, and the at() function
is part of the std::vector<> class.

mysql++ uses the new operator, and makes use of stl internally.  These
facts mean that mysql++ in general inherits the exception characteristics
of the standard libraries.  Nothing we can do about that except wrapping
all the library code in try/catch, and nobody wants that....

It's good that someone is thinking of backward compatibility though...
I wasn't :-)

- Chris

Thread
Legacy exceptions in MySQL++ considered harmfulWarren Young14 Feb
  • Re: Legacy exceptions in MySQL++ considered harmfulChris Frey14 Feb
    • Re: Legacy exceptions in MySQL++ considered harmfulWarren Young14 Feb
      • Re: Legacy exceptions in MySQL++ considered harmfulChris Frey14 Feb
        • Re: Legacy exceptions in MySQL++ considered harmfulWarren Young15 Feb
          • Re: Legacy exceptions in MySQL++ considered harmfulIbrahim Mubarak15 Feb