List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Warren Young Date:February 14 2005 4:21pm
Subject:Legacy exceptions in MySQL++ considered harmful
View as plain text
I'm beginning to think that it's time that all the legacy exception
stuff in MySQL++ should die.  It was created in a time long ago, when
not all C++ compilers supported Standard C++ exceptions.  Now that we've
moved the bar up so high w.r.t. compilers that we support, is this
feature even necessary any more?

Removing this would have these benefits:

- exceptions.h.in would become a regular header, and half the code in it
would go away.

- All that nasty conditional code in the examples would go away.

- The exception flag to the configure script would be the default.

- I could, in good conscience, accept Chris Frey's Row::operator[] at()
patch.

Anyone have any complaints about doing this?  I think that I will make
at least one release before doing this if there's no dissent, in order
to get some other patches out separately.
Thread
Legacy exceptions in MySQL++ considered harmfulWarren Young14 Feb
  • Re: Legacy exceptions in MySQL++ considered harmfulChris Frey14 Feb
    • Re: Legacy exceptions in MySQL++ considered harmfulWarren Young14 Feb
      • Re: Legacy exceptions in MySQL++ considered harmfulChris Frey14 Feb
        • Re: Legacy exceptions in MySQL++ considered harmfulWarren Young15 Feb
          • Re: Legacy exceptions in MySQL++ considered harmfulIbrahim Mubarak15 Feb