List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chris Frey Date:December 17 2004 8:13pm
Subject:Re: make install does copious recompile
View as plain text
On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 01:04:20PM -0700, Warren Young wrote:
> Chris Frey wrote:
>
> >Also, "examples" always gets compiled, but it is not required when just
> >compiling for a library install.
>
> I call this a feature.  There have been several times I've made a change
> to the library where the library compiles but the examples don't.  If
> the examples don't build by default, I'll catch these problems later in
> the cycle.
>
> Why is this a problem?  Is it just the extra time it takes?

That's great for development, and I agree, more testing the better.
But during a source-build install (either via Gentoo ebuild or source RPM,
to test things in a real install environment), it does take extra time.
I'm not blessed with a P4, so it gets painful, and it's not optional. :-)

It's not a big deal, just would be nice.  No worries.

- Chris

Thread
make install does copious recompileChris Frey17 Dec
  • Re: make install does copious recompileChris Frey17 Dec
  • Re: make install does copious recompileWarren Young17 Dec