List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Warren Young Date:December 17 2004 8:04pm
Subject:Re: make install does copious recompile
View as plain text
Chris Frey wrote:

> Does anyone else notice that when you do a ./configure && make &&
> make install
> that the make install starts recompiling everything again?  I'm not sure
> how to stop that.

config.h is probably getting touched.

> Also, "examples" always gets compiled, but it is not required when just
> compiling for a library install.

I call this a feature.  There have been several times I've made a change
to the library where the library compiles but the examples don't.  If
the examples don't build by default, I'll catch these problems later in
the cycle.

Why is this a problem?  Is it just the extra time it takes?

> Is it enough to just remove "examples"
> from the SUBDIR variable in Makefile.am?  Or would that make it impossible
> to compile the examples at all?

That will do what you want.  But it won't do what _I_ want.  :)

> Or perhaps adding an "all:" rule to Makefile.am, which would override
> the default?

All automake lets you do is append local rules to the end of the 'all'
target processing, with an all-local rule.  You can't completely take
over the target.
Thread
make install does copious recompileChris Frey17 Dec
  • Re: make install does copious recompileChris Frey17 Dec
  • Re: make install does copious recompileWarren Young17 Dec