List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Warren Young Date:December 14 2004 1:58am
Subject:Re: gcc 2.96
View as plain text
Mark Staggs wrote:

> Apparently gcc 2.96 can't find <ostream> but does find <ostream.h>.  I
> just added some macros to determine this.

Sadly, this isn't practical.  The first problem is that your macros get
declared in config.h, which _must not_ be used outside the library.
Imagine the havoc if we -- and every other autoconf-based package --
installed config.h in the system include directories!

You might think that you could just forward-declare ostream in the
header and #include the right header in null.cpp (if it existed), but
one cannot forward-declare templates, which ostream is in Standard C++:

	http://www.gotw.ca/gotw/034.htm

I'm going to have to cogitate on this to see if there is a clean solution.

By the way, your patch included diffs for the generated files configure
and config.h.in.  Don't do that.  :)  Only the configure.in patch was
necessary.
Thread
gcc 2.96Mark Staggs10 Dec
  • Re: gcc 2.96Warren Young13 Dec