List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chris Frey Date:September 3 2004 1:31am
Subject:Re: library name change
View as plain text
On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 06:02:31PM -0600, Warren Young wrote:
> I'm not going to rename it on a "maybe".  That just leads people to
> believe, like you, that things are different than they really are.
>
> I'm not against the idea the idea of reviving the dream, but until I see
> some concrete plans and real patches, the library should be named for
> what it is, not what it might be someday if someone gets ambitious.

Fair enough.  I didn't know the history, but it's nice to know the old
plans for this library.

I think naming has an effect on the way people think about things.  I know
that I wouldn't have imagined mysql++ being used for other databases
unless I had read it in the old description.  Its very name limits its intended
use, perhaps subconsciously.

But as Chad mentioned in another post, being cross-platform may cause some
bloat where folks don't want it, and I completely understand that, especially
in the official C++ API for MySQL.

Given this period of flux, I just figured this was the time to mention it
if it was worth mentioning at all.

Cheers,
- Chris

Thread
library name changeChris Frey2 Sep
  • Re: library name changecelliott2 Sep
  • Re: library name changeWarren Young3 Sep
    • Re: library name changeChris Frey3 Sep