List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chris Frey Date:September 2 2004 5:48am
Subject:library name change
View as plain text
Hi,

I was curious as to the reasoning behind the library name change from
libsqlplus to libmysqlpp.  Was there a solid reason for this?

I have two problems with it.  One, it breaks compatibility with compiled
programs (they must be relinked at the minimum).  And secondly, it
makes the library name mysql-specific.

While working on an internal RPM for the old version of mysql++, I based
my spec file on one by Tuan Hoang and Philipp Berndt.  There was a comment
in the description that caught my imagination: It stated that mysql++
may in the future support other databases as well, besides mysql.

And if mysql++ is really as generically useful as STL, as it aims to be,
I don't see any reason why that future support couldn't happen.

I think the old lib name is worth keeping for these reasons.

- Chris

Thread
library name changeChris Frey2 Sep
  • Re: library name changecelliott2 Sep
  • Re: library name changeWarren Young3 Sep
    • Re: library name changeChris Frey3 Sep