List:MySQL and PHP« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ulf Wendel Date:February 2 2007 10:58am
Subject:MySQL native driver for PHP: mysqlnd-5.0.0-alpha
View as plain text
Dear Developers,

we are proud to announce the first alpha version of the MySQL native
driver for PHP: mysqlnd 5.0.0-alpha. The software is available for
download on http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/php-mysqlnd

The MySQL native driver for PHP is an additional, alternative way to
connect from PHP 6 to the MySQL Server 4.1 or newer. It is a replacement
for libmysql, the MySQL Client Library. From now on you can use
ext/mysqli either together with libmysql as you did in the past or with
mysqlnd. The MySQL native driver for PHP requires PHP 6 and can connect
to MySQL Servers 4.1 or newer.

We have no plans to remove libmysql support from ext/mysqli, which would
break existing applications. We just add a superior alternative to our
PHP offerings:

   - The new development is licensed under the terms of the PHP license
to solve any license issues.

   - On the C-level, mysqlnd uses many of the proven and stable PHP
internal functions.

   - All the code is contained in the ext/mysqli source directory. There
is no longer a need to link any external libraries. Thus you neither
need to install the MySQL client library to compile PHP with MySQL
Support nor do you need to take care of versions.

   - Compiling has been made easier.

   - The performance of some functions has been improved. We have
measured considerable performance improvements, for example when
fetching buffered result sets.

Features and Limitations

This first alpha release is not feature complete. From the API additions
discussed in November 2006, we managed to implement a first version of:

   - persistent connections
   - mysqli_fetch_all()
   - a first performance statistics call: mysqli_get_cache_stats()

Others will follow. Unfortunately this alpha does not include Prepared
Statement support. Support for Prepared Statements is our next
development goal.

Closed and open development

With this alpha release we have laid the foundation for future work. We
had to implement very technical and, from a user perspective, boring
things like the MySQL communication protocol. We did this in a rather
"closed" way. But now that the first functions are visible we have more
interesting things to share than network protocol functions.

Please contribute to the development on the mailing list
php@stripped and share your ideas. See http://lists.mysql.com for
details how to subscribe to the list.

As soon as the driver is feature complete and stable, we will merge it
into the PHP CVS on http://cvs.php.net.

Getting the software and Installation

Please check the download page on
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/php-mysqlnd for instructions.