List:MySQL and Perl« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jochen Wiedmann Date:December 22 2000 8:08am
Subject:Re: Installing the Perl DBD for MySQL on Win32
View as plain text

John Nagle wrote:

>    Is there some easy way to do this on Win32, without upgrading to
> ActivePerl or recompiling the C portion of the DBD?

No. Either of both is required.

>    The DBI installs fine, but the DBD for Win32 is listed as
> "Msql-Mysql-modules-1.2215".  Going through the install process for
> this results in an attempt to compile with "bcc32" (The Borland
> compiler?), which I don't have.  I do have MSVC++ 5.x, but from
> looking at the makefile, no way would substituting the MSVC
> compiler work.

That typically means that you have a Perl interpreter which was
compiled with bcc32.

>    Is there a precompiled win32 binary distribution for the MySQL DBD
> that doesn't require an upgrade to "ActivePerl"?  ActivePerl is
> very Microsoft-oriented, and has most of the usual downsides of
> software strongly tied to Microsoft code.  (ActivePerl requires
> upgrading to NT 4 SP5, IE 5, MS Installer 1.1, none of which I
> want.)

From my experience I can really recommend ActivePerl. Technically
it's the best choice on Windows. And thanks to the PPM system you
rarely need a C compiler to install modules.

The first thing you have to understand is that you *must* use the
same C compiler for Perl itself and the modules. Thus the only
alternative would be compiling Perl for yourself with egcs and then
install DBD::mysql again. I daresay that this will work with little
changes, but I never tried.

Sorry,

Jochen
Thread
Installing the Perl DBD for MySQL on Win32John Nagle22 Dec
  • Re: Installing the Perl DBD for MySQL on Win32Jochen Wiedmann22 Dec