List:MySQL and Perl« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Todd Finney Date:December 14 2000 3:29am
Subject:Re: Dedicated MySQL Server
View as plain text
At 08:54 AM 12/11/00, Jay@stripped wrote:
> > "Issam W. Alameh" wrote:
> >
> > > I am thinking of celeron 600 with 512MB ram, what
> such
> > > machine can serve and what is the best way to
> configure
> > > and start the database server..
> >
> > Funny idea, to use a *Celeron* with that much RAM. :-)
>
>I would disagree a bit here. I have actually found
>Celerons to be quite
>useful processors and offer tremendous price to
>performance compared to PII
>and PIII's. Under typical server situations I belive you'd
>get better
>performance with a PII/I as well you have the possibility
>to have multiple
>CPU's.

Some Celerons are (were?) at least dual CPU capable,
although I'm not an authority on Intel specs.  Of course,
if you have the traffic to warrant a 4x (or more) box, then
you probably have the money to purchase the 4x box.

We have a dual Celeron 500A box that we put together a
while back, 512mb ram and a couple of fast disks, and it
works like a champ.

If you're looking to save money on a server, getting a
Celeron instead of a Pentium can be a good idea.  It's
certainly a better idea than cutting back on RAM or buying
slow disks.

Just my $.02.

Todd

Thread
Dedicated MySQL ServerIssam W. Alameh11 Dec
  • Re: Dedicated MySQL ServerJochen Wiedmann11 Dec
  • Re: Dedicated MySQL ServerIssam W. Alameh11 Dec
  • Re: Dedicated MySQL ServerJay11 Dec
    • Re: Dedicated MySQL ServerTodd Finney14 Dec