List:Packagers« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Davi Arnaut Date:November 5 2010 12:39pm
Subject:Removal of the autotools-based build system
View as plain text
Hi,

As many of you probably know, starting with MySQL 5.5 and onwards, the
build system (for all platforms) has been transitioned to cmake. As of
the 5.5.5 release, debug and release builds are solely being built with
cmake. At this point, our main build system is the cmake-based one. With
this step completed, we are now gathering requirements and preparing for
the removal [*] of the autotools-based build system.

A initial description of this task is available at:

http://forge.mysql.com/worklog/task.php?id=5665

One important aspect is that this removal will break third-party tools
or practices that rely on autotools-specific files. For example, some
tools parse configure.in to extract the server version. Since
configure.in is going to be removed, those tools need to be upgraded to
extract this information from a new and specific file (i.e.
cmake/version.sh).

Given this potential problem, and in order to provide a smooth
transition for those tools, we would like to know:

- Do you maintain tools/scripts that rely on autotools-specific files?

- If yes, which files and what kind of information is being extracted?

With this information at hand, we will try provide suitable alternatives
as necessary to make those tools work (with minor adjustments) without
the autotools-specific files.

Thanks and regards,

Davi

* Although we initially planned to keep it around a bit longer, its
maintenance has become a unnecessary burden. The development leaders
have agreed to proceed with the autotools removal from mysql-trunk and up.
Thread
Removal of the autotools-based build systemDavi Arnaut5 Nov
  • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemAlex Esterkin8 Nov
    • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemDavi Arnaut8 Nov
      • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemMARK CALLAGHAN8 Nov
      • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemAlex Esterkin9 Nov
        • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemDavi Arnaut9 Nov
  • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemMichal Hrusecky9 Nov
  • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemRobin H. Johnson9 Nov