List:Packagers« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Joerg Bruehe Date:September 20 2007 9:04am
Subject:Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise source
View as plain text
Hi Jeremy, all !

Jeremy Cole wrote:
> Hi Jörg,
>
> I certainly will not disagree that an issue this basic should have been
> caught in internal QA, but at the same time, can you argue that having a
> community release out would have caught this issue before you gave the
> untested code to your supposedly "more stable" enterprise customers?

No, I cannot argue that, and I never tried to.

But IMO there is no significant difference between giving a version with
such an issue to any user, be s/he paying or not -
it should not meet the paying customer, but equally it should not meet
the non-paying community user.

> The basic issue is that you're asking customers to pay for the privilege
> of using untested code in production.  I for one could never recommend
> that to a customer...

If "you" means me personally, I will ignore that: I never said this is
my personal preference.

If "you" refers to MySQL AB, this is a way to put it which I cannot
claim to be completely wrong, even though I am sure this is not the
intention of the current scheme of operation.

A salesperson must always work by the assumption the product is
operating correct, and from that point it is ok to give paying users a
headstart with a new version.
A technical person may easily start from a different assumption and so
come to different proposals.

(I belong to the technical side, but try to understand the other point
of view; so I may present arguments even though I do not share them.)

Regards,
Jörg

MySQL AB, www.mysql.com
Office:  (+49 30) 417 01 487     VoIP: 4464@stripped

Thread
Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceRobin H. Johnson10 Sep
  • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceJoerg Bruehe10 Sep
    • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceRobin H. Johnson11 Sep
      • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceMichael Shigorin11 Sep
      • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceColin Charles18 Sep
        • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceMichael Shigorin18 Sep
        • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceJeremy Cole19 Sep
          • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceColin Charles19 Sep
          • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceJoerg Bruehe20 Sep
            • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceJeremy Cole20 Sep
              • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceJoerg Bruehe20 Sep
            • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceCristian Gafton21 Sep
        • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceRobin H. Johnson19 Sep
    • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceMichael Shigorin11 Sep
  • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceColin Charles18 Sep
    • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceRobin H. Johnson19 Sep
Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceJeremy Cole11 Sep
  • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceColin Charles18 Sep
    • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceMichael Shigorin18 Sep
      • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceColin Charles18 Sep
        • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceRobin H. Johnson19 Sep
        • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceMichael Shigorin19 Sep