List:Packagers« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Colin Charles Date:September 18 2007 9:02pm
Subject:Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise source
View as plain text
Michael Shigorin wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 06:12:45PM +0200, Colin Charles wrote:
>>> I think this is the worst case for the user, and would hurt
>>> not only the "commercial Enterprise users" but all users, as
>>> they then get a much less-maintained version of MySQL with
>>> more delayed bug fixes.
>> Since distributions don't normally *ship* every month, how does
>> this make it worse for our user base?
>
> updates/

And what is wrong with once every 3 months? Most sensible distribution
maintainers ship updates conservatively, and if you're updating core
software, you do so *very* conservatively

Now, lets go to the mainstream/sensible Linux distribution list (70% of
machines, according to robbat2, and from my experience with
distributions and our bug count stats, they actually match up):
* Debian
* Ubuntu
* Fedora/RHEL
* SuSE

Even *before* MySQL decided to release a source tarball every 3 months
once, these distros never shipped every incremental release of MySQL.
They did so when there was a security risk. Or when it seemed
appropriate for an update

An update for an updates sake is a maintainers worst nightmare. I know,
I've maintained software in a mainstream distribution before. Everytime
you drop an update, you increase the bug/pain count

Typically, Linux distributions release a new version once every 6 months
or 9 months, which seems normal. Updates are usually sparse (and if we
really want to argue otherwise, we'll have to go back and mine relevant
data, which isn't hard to do, but time consuming) especially for
critical applications

With the exception of Fedora, which might get a new kernel every couple
of weeks once, the others in the list are a lot more conservative about
releases

	kind regards
--
Colin Charles, Community Relations Manager, APAC
MySQL AB, Melbourne, Australia, www.mysql.com

MySQL Forge: http://forge.mysql.com/
Thread
Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceRobin H. Johnson10 Sep
  • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceJoerg Bruehe10 Sep
    • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceRobin H. Johnson11 Sep
      • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceMichael Shigorin11 Sep
      • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceColin Charles18 Sep
        • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceMichael Shigorin18 Sep
        • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceJeremy Cole19 Sep
          • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceColin Charles19 Sep
          • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceJoerg Bruehe20 Sep
            • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceJeremy Cole20 Sep
              • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceJoerg Bruehe20 Sep
            • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceCristian Gafton21 Sep
        • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceRobin H. Johnson19 Sep
    • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceMichael Shigorin11 Sep
  • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceColin Charles18 Sep
    • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceRobin H. Johnson19 Sep
Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceJeremy Cole11 Sep
  • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceColin Charles18 Sep
    • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceMichael Shigorin18 Sep
      • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceColin Charles18 Sep
        • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceRobin H. Johnson19 Sep
        • Re: Distro packaging decisions and the non-public Enterprise sourceMichael Shigorin19 Sep