List:Packagers« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Lenz Grimmer Date:March 22 2006 8:12pm
Subject:Re: 5.0.19 libmysqlclient not ABI-compatible with 5.0.18
View as plain text

Hi Tom,

thanks for raising this issue!

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

> 5.0.19 has added a field to the MYSQL struct that was not there before.
> For clients that use a MYSQL struct they have allocated themselves
> (rather than allowing mysql_init to allocate it), this breaks binary
> compatibility, because they won't have made the struct large enough.
>
> $ diff -c mysql-5.0.18/include/mysql.h mysql-5.0.19/include/mysql.h
> ***************
> *** 287,292 ****
> --- 287,294 ----
>       from mysql_stmt_close if close had to cancel result set of this object.
>     */
>     my_bool *unbuffered_fetch_owner;
> +   /* needed for embedded server - no net buffer to store the 'info' */
> +   char *info_buffer;
>   } MYSQL;
>
>   typedef struct st_mysql_res {
> ***************
>
> I don't know why the MYSQL struct wasn't made abstract in the first
> place, but given that mysql has chosen to expose it to client apps,
> they can't change it (not this much anyway) without creating an ABI
> break.

Ouch, this should not have happened.

> > For distributions like Debian it's a big deal when binary
> > compatibility breaks without anybody being aware :)
>
> No kidding.  Red Hat has backed off our intention to ship 5.0.19 at all.
> What I want to know is, should I file a bug report or is this change
> intentional?  (And if the latter, why wasn't there a .so version bump?)

I have filed a bug report about this now:

http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=18435

Please add additional input to the bug report, if required.

This was definitely not intentional. I've flagged this as a showstopper bug
which must be addressed before 5.0.20 goes out. My proposal would be to revert
that incompatibility instead of bumping up the .so version number, but it's
up to our devs to make that decision...

Bye,
	LenZ
- --
 Lenz Grimmer <lenz@stripped>
 Community Relations Manager, EMEA
 MySQL GmbH, http://www.mysql.de/, Hamburg, Germany
 MySQL Users Conference 2006 (Santa Clara CA, 24-27 April) - http://www.mysqluc.com/
Thread
5.0.19 libmysqlclient not ABI-compatible with 5.0.18Tom Lane17 Mar
  • Re: 5.0.19 libmysqlclient not ABI-compatible with 5.0.18Christian Hammers18 Mar
    • Re: 5.0.19 libmysqlclient not ABI-compatible with 5.0.18Tom Lane18 Mar
      • Re: 5.0.19 libmysqlclient not ABI-compatible with 5.0.18Christian Hammers20 Mar
        • Re: 5.0.19 libmysqlclient not ABI-compatible with 5.0.18Tom Lane20 Mar
          • Re: 5.0.19 libmysqlclient not ABI-compatible with 5.0.18Lenz Grimmer22 Mar
  • Re: 5.0.19 libmysqlclient not ABI-compatible with 5.0.18Colin Charles21 Mar