List:Packagers« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Lenz Grimmer Date:December 12 2005 1:41pm
Subject:Re: Compile error of last version
View as plain text

Hi,

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

> Mauro Sacchetto <mauro.sacchetto@stripped> writes:
> > I communicate it to bugzilla. The kernel team replied:
> >> Additionally, last I checked MySQL abused atomic.h in a way it was never
> meant
> >> to be used (for using the inline functions in userspace).

Could you please give me the related Bugzilla ID for reference?

> > I compiled from myself the headers for the most recent kernel.
> > With 2.6.13 mysql compilation worls fine, with 2.6.14 no.
> > Please, consider if the problem is not of mysql itself...

It's a MySQL problem, related to the detection of atomic operations in
"configure".

> The Red Hat distribution of mysql ran into this problem quite some time
> ago: the "atomic add/sub" assembly code doesn't work on any of RH's
> 64-bit platforms.  Fortunately there is a configure-driven option to not
> use that code.  We fix it by hacking configure.in (see attached patch,
> which presumes that you run autoconf afterwards) but I suppose you could
> also do it by modifying configure's output files.  The patch was
> generated against 4.1.x, as you can see, but it still applies to 5.0.x.

Thanks! Could you please alert us about such issues via our bug database at
http://bugs.mysql.com/ in the future? That should make sure you don't have to
maintain such fixes by yourself forever and we don't have to trawl through all
vendors' SRPMs for useful patches :)

> The idea of userland using <asm/atomic.h> has our kernel hackers all bent
> out of shape, so don't do it.  Suppressing this has another benefit too,
> which is we avoid the 4-vs-8-byte problem in BDB that formerly required
> mysql-threads.patch.

Agreed, this is ugly. It seems like this particular issue was reported in
our Bugs DB already:

  http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=13621
  http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=15244

I will nudge our devs about this one again. Thanks for the reminder!

Bye,
	LenZ
- --
 Lenz Grimmer <lenz@stripped>
 Community Relations - Europe
 MySQL GmbH, http://www.mysql.de/, Hamburg, Germany
 MySQL Users Conference 2006 (Santa Clara CA, 24-27 April) - http://www.mysqluc.com/
Thread
Compile error of last versionMauro Sacchetto8 Dec
  • Re: Compile error of last versionLenz Grimmer9 Dec
    • Re: Compile error of last versionMauro Sacchetto9 Dec
      • Re: Compile error of last versionLenz Grimmer12 Dec
    • Re: Compile error of last versionMauro Sacchetto10 Dec
    • Re: Compile error of last versionMauro Sacchetto10 Dec
      • Re: Compile error of last versionTom Lane10 Dec
        • Re: Compile error of last versionLenz Grimmer12 Dec
          • Re: Compile error of last versionTom Lane12 Dec
            • Re: Compile error of last versionLenz Grimmer13 Dec