List:Packagers« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Lenz Grimmer Date:April 12 2005 11:39am
Subject:Re: How to create rpm from source
View as plain text

Hi,

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005, Tinni wrote:

> For my project, I  was trying to create the 'rpm' from source mysql but the
> error is  coming when i am executing the .spec file..
>
> I have executed the .spec file with,
>
> $:\rpmbuild -ba mysql-4.1.11-1.spec
>
> Here is the spec file::
> Name: mysql
> Version: 4.1
> Release: 11
> Copyright: GPL
> Group: System Environment/Base
> Source:
>
> http://mysql.mirrors.hoobly.com/Downloads/MySQL-4.1/mysql-standard-4.1.11-unknown-linux-gnu-ia64-glibc23.tar.gz

This is not the source distribution. The file you are referring to is actually a
binary distribution that does not need to be compiled anymore.

The 4.1.11 sources are called "mysql-4.1.11.tar.gz" - they actually include
a generic RPM spec file.

[...]

> + ./configure --prefix=/local/rh9/mysql
> NOTE: This is a MySQL binary distribution. It's ready to run, you don't
> need to configure it!

It even tells you about this fact :)

[...]

> I am creating  the binary from the source first time. I am not sure
> though of the .spec file.  Any pointer is highly appreciated.

If you simply want to recompile the source RPM, just download the .src.rpm and
rebuild that one instead.

Bye,
	LenZ
- --
 Lenz Grimmer <lenz@stripped>
 Senior Production Engineer
 MySQL GmbH, http://www.mysql.de/
 Hamburg, Germany
 Are you MySQL certified?  http://www.mysql.com/certification/
Thread
How to create rpm from sourceTinni10 Apr
  • Re: How to create rpm from sourceMichael Shigorin11 Apr
  • Re: How to create rpm from sourceLenz Grimmer12 Apr