List:Packagers« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christian Hammers Date:December 16 2002 4:13pm
Subject:Re: [packagers] /var/lib/mysql permission in recent mysql rpms
View as plain text
On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 06:58:58PM +0300, Dmitry V. Levin wrote:
> > Better stick with FHS, /var/lib/mysql is just for the databases,
> > /var/run/mysqld/ for the .pid and the .sock and /var/log/mysql/ for
> > the log files (owned 0700 for security reasons).
>
> This scheme is not always acceptable so it should be optional.
> For example, we (ALT GNU/*/Linux) distribute MySQL server chrooted by
> default, so creating logs outside chroot is not an option for this
> configuration (mysql doesn't use syslog(3)).

In this case I would seperate the dirs in the chroot and then symlink
/var/log/mysql and /var/run/mysql to this chroot so that apps from
outside could connect via /var/run/mysql to this chrooted mysql.

(btw hello mysql: error (or general) logging via syslog would be very
nice as most people have setup a kind of logcheck anyway. Maybe some
kind of optional "log = syslog://myhost/local6")

bye,

-christian-

Thread
/var/lib/mysql permission in recent mysql rpmsDavid Garamond15 Dec
  • Re: [packagers] /var/lib/mysql permission in recent mysql rpmsChristian Hammers16 Dec
    • Re: [packagers] /var/lib/mysql permission in recent mysql rpmsDmitry V. Levin16 Dec
      • Re: [packagers] /var/lib/mysql permission in recent mysql rpmsChristian Hammers16 Dec
        • Re: [packagers] syslog (was: /var/lib/mysql permission in recentmysql rpms)Lenz Grimmer16 Dec
  • Re: [packagers] /var/lib/mysql permission in recent mysql rpmsDavid Garamond16 Dec