List:Packagers« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Lenz Grimmer Date:January 28 2004 11:55am
Subject:Re: Compiling with Intel C++ compiler
View as plain text

Hi,

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, infernix wrote:

> I am not sure if this is the right list, but alas - I have to try.

No, this list is just fine for this!

> I am trying to compile mysql for optimal performance, and am trying to
> use Intels Linux C++ compiler (v8.0) on a Debian Woody 3.0 system. I can
> compile fine (for instance, apt-get --build source pine works with the
> intel compiler), but doing the same with MySQL 4.0.16 gives the
> following error:
>
> checking if /opt/intel_cc_80/bin/icc supports bool types... yes
> checking if conversion of longlong to float works... no
> configure: error: Your compiler cannot convert a longlong value to a float!
> If you are using gcc 2.8.# you should upgrade to egcs 1.0.3 or newer and try
> again
> make: *** [configure-stamp] Error 1

Hmm. Does config.log give you any hint? We've just recently updated the
autoconf/automake toolchain on our build host, so this may work better
with the next release. As we have just installed icc on one of our build
hosts, too, I will see if I can reproduce this problem. What you could try
is the following:

  - extract the sources and enter the directory
  - rm configure config.guess config.sub depcomp install-sh mkinstalldirs \
    missing ltmain.sh
  - aclocal ; autoheader ; libtoolize --automake --force ; automake \
    --add-missing ; autoconf

Now try this resulting configure script instead.

> At first, I also had problems because -fno-implicit-templates doesnt
> work on icc; I changed the debian rules file for the mysql package to
> accomondate for that. But generally, I'm starting to wonder if this
> compiles at all. There are recommendations for pgcc on several MySQL
> optimization pages, but you'd suspect that intels compiler should be
> even faster, since pgcc seems unmaintained (to me at least).

Yes, icc seems to generate much faster code.

> After feddling with the Debian packages, I've given the source package
> (4.0.17) a go. The same results seem to apply:
>
> checking if conversion of longlong to float works... no
> configure: error: Your compiler cannot convert a longlong value to a float!
> If you are using gcc 2.8.# you should upgrade to egcs 1.0.3 or newer and try
> again
>
> Any hints are very welcome - and "that will never work" is an answer too :)

No, it should work. We have been compiling with icc 7.1, so it should work
with 8.0 as well. Please take a look at config.log to see why exactly it
fails. Maybe we need to make some adjustements to our configure scripts to
make it work.

Bye,
	LenZ
- --
 Lenz Grimmer <lenz@stripped>
 Senior Production Engineer
 MySQL GmbH, http://www.mysql.de/
 Hamburg, Germany

 Want to swim with the dolphins? (April 14-16, 2004)
 http://www.mysql.com/uc2004/
Thread
Compiling with Intel C++ compilerinfernix26 Jan
  • Re: Compiling with Intel C++ compilerLenz Grimmer28 Jan
    • RE: Compiling with Intel C++ compilerinfernix28 Jan