List:NDB Connectors« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mika Raento Date:March 22 2007 8:52am
Subject:exceptions and perl
View as plain text
Using or not using exceptions in perl is (of course) a matter of taste.
eval { } is the same as try { }. With DBI you choose whether you want
return values or exceptions with the RaiseError option.

My opinion?

If we only use one mechanism, I'd strongly prefer exceptions over return
values. You can do RAII in perl, if you want, so it all fits together
quite nicely.

If we feel we have enough time I would very much like to see a way to
call functions that can be expected to fail with a parameter or a second
name which indicates that I'd like a return value instead of an
exception (a bit like open() in unix where you can say O_CREAT to create
the file if it doesn't exist or leave it out if you actually care
whether it existed or not).

    Mika
Thread
SWIG_exception vs. SWIG_exception_failMika Raento21 Mar
  • Re: SWIG_exception vs. SWIG_exception_failMonty Taylor21 Mar
    • Re: SWIG_exception vs. SWIG_exception_failMonty Taylor22 Mar
      • exceptions and perlMika Raento22 Mar
        • Re: exceptions and perlMonty Taylor22 Mar