List:MySQL Documentation« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jon Stephens Date:October 8 2010 8:55am
Subject:Re: mysqldoc-plain Digest 7 Oct 2010 15:03:25 -0000 Issue 98
View as plain text
On 07/10/10 17:03, mysqldoc-plain-digest-help@stripped wrote:

> Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 12:02:30 -0300
> To: mysqldoc@stripped
> From: Roberto<mrgreiner@stripped>
> Subject: Documentation tipo in replication pages
>
>    Hi,
>
> there is a small tipo in the documentation about replication. In the
> page
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/replication-howto-masterbaseconfig.html,
> the information says to configure two lines, one of them being
> "log-bin=mysql-bin". But, in the configuration files I found it to be
> "log_bin=mysql-bin" (notice the underline in log_bin).

Hi Roberto,

Your config file probably didn't come from us, or has been edited since
then, because our config files include the following:

# Replication Master Server (default)
# binary logging is required for replication
log-bin=mysql-bin

That's a dash, not an underscore.

That being said, the convention is to use the form with dashes (log-bin)
on the command line and in my.cnf, and to use the form with underscores
(log_bin) as the the name of the corresponding system variable. However,
in most (if not all) cases, it doesn't matter which form you use where:

jon@torsk:~/bin/mysql-5.1/bin> ./mysqld_safe --log_bin=mysql-bin &
[1] 6852
jon@torsk:~/bin/mysql-5.1/bin> 101008 10:49:03 mysqld_safe Logging to
'/home/jon/bin/mysql-5.1/var/torsk.err'.
101008 10:49:03 mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from
/home/jon/bin/mysql-5.1/var

jon@torsk:~/bin/mysql-5.1/bin> ./mysql -uroot -e "SHOW VARIABLES LIKE
'LOG%'"
+---------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| Variable_name                   | Value                                 |
+---------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| log                             | OFF                                   |
| log_bin                         | ON                                    |
| log_bin_trust_function_creators | OFF                                   |
| log_bin_trust_routine_creators  | OFF                                   |
| log_error                       | /home/jon/bin/mysql-5.1/var/torsk.err |
| log_output                      | FILE                                  |
| log_queries_not_using_indexes   | OFF                                   |
| log_slave_updates               | OFF                                   |
| log_slow_queries                | OFF                                   |
| log_warnings                    | 1                                     |
+---------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
jon@torsk:~/bin/mysql-5.1/bin> ./mysqladmin -uroot shutdown
101008 10:49:28 mysqld_safe mysqld from pid file
/home/jon/bin/mysql-5.1/var/torsk.pid ended
[1]+  Done                    ./mysqld_safe --log_bin=mysql-bin
jon@torsk:~/bin/mysql-5.1/bin> ./mysqld_safe --log-bin=mysql-bin &
[1] 6948
jon@torsk:~/bin/mysql-5.1/bin> 101008 10:49:38 mysqld_safe Logging to
'/home/jon/bin/mysql-5.1/var/torsk.err'.
101008 10:49:39 mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from
[...]

101008 10:49:49 mysqld_safe mysqld from pid file
/home/jon/bin/mysql-5.1/var/torsk.pid ended
[1]+  Done                    ./mysqld_safe --log-bin=mysql-bin
jon@torsk:~/bin/mysql-5.1/bin> ./mysqld_safe &
[1] 7038
jon@torsk:~/bin/mysql-5.1/bin> 101008 10:49:55 mysqld_safe Logging to
'/home/jon/bin/mysql-5.1/var/torsk.err'.
101008 10:49:55 mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from
/home/jon/bin/mysql-5.1/var

jon@torsk:~/bin/mysql-5.1/bin> ./mysql -uroot -e "SHOW VARIABLES LIKE
'LOG%'"
+---------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| Variable_name                   | Value                                 |
+---------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| log                             | OFF                                   |
| log_bin                         | OFF                                   |
| log_bin_trust_function_creators | OFF                                   |
| log_bin_trust_routine_creators  | OFF                                   |
| log_error                       | /home/jon/bin/mysql-5.1/var/torsk.err |
| log_output                      | FILE                                  |
| log_queries_not_using_indexes   | OFF                                   |
| log_slave_updates               | OFF                                   |
| log_slow_queries                | OFF                                   |
| log_warnings                    | 1                                     |
jon@torsk:~/bin/mysql-5.1/bin>

(log-bin/log_bin is perhaps not the best example due to its get/set
value oddness, but I think the point is still made.)

cheers,

jon.

--

Jon Stephens / MySQL Documentation Team