List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Gerald Clark Date:February 8 2002 8:45pm
Subject:Re: MySQL won't start...
View as plain text
Mysql must own its files and directories.

chown -R mysql  /var/lib/mysql
assumong /var/lib/mysql is the data directory.

FISHER,JOE (Non-HP-Roseville,ex1) wrote:

>I have 2 SuSE Linux 7.2 machines at home...  These boxes have completely
>different hardware in each... But the O/S on each, contains virtually all of
>the same applications...
>On the first machine, MySQL started right up, and has been working correctly
>ever since...
>On the second machine, MySQL will NOT start...
>It tries to start, but keeps aborting...
>Here are the only messages that I can seem to find:
>	020126 18:01:29  mysqld started
>	020126 18:01:29  /usr/sbin/mysqld: Table '' doesn't exist
>	020126 18:01:29  mysqld ended
>	020126 18:04:56  mysqld started
>	020126 18:04:57  /usr/sbin/mysqld: Can't find file:
>'./mysql/host.frm' (errno: 13)
>	020126 18:04:57  mysqld ended
>	020126 18:07:31  mysqld started
>	020126 18:07:31  /usr/sbin/mysqld: Can't find file:
>'./mysql/host.frm' (errno: 13)
>Each time I try to restart, I get the above messages...
>If anyone can point me to some specific log files, that would help to debug
>this problem further, I would much appreciate it...
>my.cnf is locate in /etc, as it's supposed to be...
>host.frm exists, but it exists in the following location: (I'm thinking that
>something in /usr/sbin/mysqld isn't pointing to the file...)
>	/var/lib/mysql/mysql/host.frm
>Is there a configuration file someplace, that I can modify to point to this
>host.frm file?
>If so, what is the correct command, including syntax?
>Joe F.

Before posting, please check:   (the manual)           (the list archive)

To request this thread, e-mail <mysql-thread98987@stripped>
To unsubscribe, e-mail <>
Trouble unsubscribing? Try:

MySQL won't start...ex1) Non-HP-Roseville12 Feb
Re: MySQL won't start...Gerald Clark12 Feb