List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christian Mack Date:August 11 1999 4:19pm
Subject:Re: question about update
View as plain text
Spiderman wrote:

> user = varchar(32)   PRI
> email = varchar(64)  MUL
> last_activity = date MUL
> last_login = date    MUL
> subscribed = text
>
> The update statement
> update client set subscribed = 'xxxx:# yyyy:# zzzz:#' where user = 'me'
>
> mysql> explain select * from client where user = 'user';
> +--------+-------+---------------+---------+---------+---------+------+-------+
> | table  | type  | possible_keys | key     | key_len | ref     | rows | Extra |
> +--------+-------+---------------+---------+---------+---------+------+-------+
> | client | const | PRIMARY       | PRIMARY |      32 | user    |    1 |       |
> +--------+-------+---------------+---------+---------+---------+------+-------+
> 1 row in set (0.00 sec)
>
> -billy
< cut >

Hi Billy

If you update the variable length fields (TEXT and VARCHAR) regularly, you should
defragment your table.
This can be done with either "isamchk" or with "OPTIMIZE TABLE tablename".
This should increase the update and the search speed.

Tschau
Christian

Thread
question about updateSpiderman10 Aug
RE: question about updateQuentin Bennett10 Aug
RE: question about updateSpiderman11 Aug
  • Re: question about updateMartin Ramsch11 Aug
Re: question about updateChristian Mack11 Aug