List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:March 26 1999 1:32am
Subject:broken pipe/can't connect/mysql problems...
View as plain text
> "dubick" == dubick  <dubick@stripped> writes:

dubick> 	I cannot create or access and databases in mysql.  The mysqladmin create
dubick> command does not work. Attempts to fix this problem have uncovered other
> possible problems, such as broken pipes, failure to connect, and so forth.  I have edited
> the configure file (line 18) to reflect the location of mysql.  the executable is residing
> at the standard  place (/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql) and all other pieces follow the
> standard binary (non-rpm) installation.

Hi!

If you edit the configure script, it will not work!

You MUST use it with:

./configure

in the MySQL binary distribution directory!

If you don't do it like above, you will get errors like the one you
get!

<cut>

dubick> [root@cooper mysql]# ./configure

<cut>

dubick> Starting the mysqld server.  You can test that it is up and running
dubick> with the command:
dubick> ./bin/mysqladmin version
dubick> [root@cooper mysql]# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from
> /usr/local/mysql-a
dubick> mysqld daemon ended

In this case you can look at the data/'hostname'.err file for the
reason why this failed.  Before you have corrected this, nothing else will
work!

<cut>

>> Fix:
dubick> 	No clue.  I do know that i must specify the host every time i log into mysql.
> i am able to call up the mysql commmand line/prompt, but when i type show databases, the
> following occurs:

dubick> [root@cooper mysql]# bin/mysql -h cooper
dubick> Can't read dir of '.' (Errcode: 2)

The above means that you have started mysqld wrong!

You have tree options to start a mysqld from a binary distribution:
Note that if you don't do EXACTLY like this, it will probably not work:

1)
cd mysql-distribution-directory
./bin/safe_mysqld &

2)

Make a symlink from the mysql distribution to /usr/local/mysql
In this case you can start safe_mysqld from anywhere!

3)

Provide full paths to (safe)mysqld

mysql-distribution-directory/bin/safe_mysqld --basedir=mysql-distribution-directory
--data=mysql-distribution-directory/data

For other options, try 'mysqld --help' !

------

For information about your current paths, you can use:

mysqladmin -h cooper variables

Regards,
Monty
Thread
broken pipe/can't connect/mysql problems...dubick25 Mar
  • broken pipe/can't connect/mysql problems...Michael Widenius26 Mar