List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martin Ramsch Date:August 11 1999 4:19am
Subject:Re: question about update
View as plain text

On Tue, 1999-08-10 17:01:17 -0700, billy@stripped wrote:
> user = varchar(32)   PRI
> email = varchar(64)  MUL
> last_activity = date MUL
> last_login = date    MUL
> subscribed = text

Most probably you could gain some speed by changing all string fields
into column type CHAR (resulting in fixed length records), if that's
possible.  Example:
  user       CHAR(32)
  email      CHAR(64)
  subscribed CHAR(255)

> When the client is updateing their info, the table is write locked
> and the selects to access the articles are queued behind it.  I need
> to increase the speed of the update.

Maybe UPDATE LOW_PRIORITY is an option for you?  This won't block
other selects but delay the update itself.

Regards,
  Martin
question about updateSpiderman10 Aug
RE: question about updateQuentin Bennett10 Aug
RE: question about updateSpiderman11 Aug
  • Re: question about updateMartin Ramsch11 Aug
Re: question about updateChristian Mack11 Aug