List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thimble Smith Date:August 11 1999 2:26am
Subject:Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD mysql performance
View as plain text
At 19:46, 19990810, aaron abelard wrote:
>The question is, am I going to get better performance out of FreeBSD or
>Linux?

Probably the performance will be about equal.  They are both exceptional
operating systems.  Linux typically has more hardware support (more
hackers churning out drivers, more users for testing obscure stuff).
FreeBSD has (used to have, at least) a better VM system that scaled
with load more reliably than Linux.

As others will no doubt tell you, go with the one that will take the
least of YOUR time.  Your computer won't care that much.

>Secondly, are there other factors I should consider when choosing
>between the two?

FreeBSD rules.  Linux is for weenies.  You decide which you want to
be known as.

Oh, and Linux, at the moment, has better SMP support (hey, this is
changing very quickly, though, for FreeBSD-current).  So if you're
thinking of getting a multi-processor box, you might want to consider
that.

Tim
Thread
Linux vs. FreeBSD mysql performanceaaron abelard11 Aug
  • Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD mysql performanceScott Hess11 Aug
    • Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD mysql performanceOrlando Andico11 Aug
      • Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD mysql performance(Chris Adams)11 Aug
        • Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD mysql performanceOrlando Andico11 Aug
        • [off topic] synchronous writesGraham Ashton11 Aug
      • Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD mysql performanceaaron abelard11 Aug
        • Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD mysql performanceOrlando Andico11 Aug
      • Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD mysql performanceScott Hess11 Aug
        • Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD mysql performanceThimble Smith11 Aug
  • Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD mysql performanceThimble Smith11 Aug
  • Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD mysql performance(Paul D. Smith)11 Aug
Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD mysql performancekg11 Aug
  • Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD mysql performance(Paul D. Smith)11 Aug
Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD mysql performanceChristian Bruno11 Aug