List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Richard Reina Date:February 7 2002 4:20pm
Subject:Re: triming white space from a TEXT column
View as plain text

>> I am trying to trim both leading and trailing whitespace from a TEXT
>> column in my SELECT query.  I found the TRIM() command in the manual,
>> however, I can't get it to act upon a column name instead of an
>> actual string.  Can anyone help?
>

> If you just say TRIM(col_name) it will return the trimmed column value,
> but it won't change the column itself.  Try updating the column to its
> trimmed value:
>
> UPDATE tbl_name SET col_name = TRIM(col_name);

    I tried both ideas and neither one removed the white spaces.  arrr! :-(

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Richard

Thread
triming white space from a TEXT columnRichard Reina6 Feb
  • Re: triming white space from a TEXT columnPaul DuBois7 Feb
  • Re: triming white space from a TEXT columnRichard Reina7 Feb
    • Re: triming white space from a TEXT columnKeith C. Ivey7 Feb
Re: triming white space from a TEXT columnPaul DuBois12 Feb
Re: triming white space from a TEXT columnKeith C. Ivey12 Feb
Re: triming white space from a TEXT columnRichard Reina12 Feb