List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thimble Smith Date:August 10 1999 10:14pm
Subject:Re: Does this SUBSTRING() syntax seem strange to you?
View as plain text
At 14:22, 19990810, Paul DuBois wrote:
>One of the SUBSTRING() variants supported by MySQL is:
>
>SUBSTRING(str FROM len)

Yes, that looks odd to me, too.  I've tried to use it before, with,
for example,

    SELECT SUBSTRING(url FROM 8) WHERE url LIKE 'http://%'

and it didn't work like I expected (I know, I should adjust my
expectations so that they match the documentation).

I'd rather have SUBSTRING(str FROM pos) and SUBSTRING(str FOR len),
with the first behaving like the current SUBSTRING(str, pos) and the
second behaving like the current SUBSTRING(str FROM pos).  But I don't
really feel strongly about it.

Tim
Thread
Does this SUBSTRING() syntax seem strange to you?Paul DuBois10 Aug
  • Re: Does this SUBSTRING() syntax seem strange to you?Thimble Smith11 Aug
  • Re: Does this SUBSTRING() syntax seem strange to you?Ken Farwell11 Aug
    • Re: Does this SUBSTRING() syntax seem strange to you?(Ray Zimmerman)11 Aug
  • Re: Does this SUBSTRING() syntax seem strange to you?Ken Farwell11 Aug
  • Does this SUBSTRING() syntax seem strange to you?Michael Widenius17 Aug