List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:January 30 2002 4:30pm
Subject:Re: AUTO_INCREMENT columns randomly restart counting from 1
View as plain text
At 17:15 +0100 1/30/02, Andreas Schoelver wrote:
>Hi there
>
>We have some table used as sequences.
>They only have 2 columns (ID, PID), with the AUTO_INCREMENT flag set
>for one of them (ID).

Is the ID column one of the integer types?

>By default the tables are empty!
>The increment process is done by inserting a new record with a random
>value for the non-auto_increment column.
>After that the new sequence value is fetched by selecting the random value.
>In the next step the one and only new row will we deleted using a
>'delete from seq_xx WHERE PID = random_value'
>statement, as described in the manual.
>
>randomly the incrementation of any of the tables fails and the counter
>resets to 1, which breaks the whole application.
>this appears long before any overflow might happen.
>
>has anyone else ever noticed this?
>any idea what might be wrong ?

What is the table type? (ISAM, MyISAM ... ?)

>the version of the server is 3.23.42 .
>
>best regards
>Andreas Schoelver

Thread
AUTO_INCREMENT columns randomly restart counting from 1Andreas Schoelver30 Jan
  • Re: AUTO_INCREMENT columns randomly restart counting from 1Paul DuBois30 Jan
RE: AUTO_INCREMENT columns randomly restart counting from 1Richard Bolen30 Jan
RE: AUTO_INCREMENT columns randomly restart counting from 1Andreas Schoelver1 Feb
RE: AUTO_INCREMENT columns randomly restart counting from 1Bruce Stewart1 Feb
RE: AUTO_INCREMENT columns randomly restart counting from 1Michael Fochtman1 Feb
RE: AUTO_INCREMENT columns randomly restart counting from 1Andreas Schoelver4 Feb
RE: AUTO_INCREMENT columns randomly restart counting from 1Andreas Schoelver4 Feb