List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thimble Smith Date:August 9 1999 9:28pm
Subject:Re: Subqueries, joins & select ... IN(...) search engines
View as plain text
At 23:16, 19990809, David Lennartsson wrote:
>Ok, than I'll hold on to my old way and try to optimize it. Theese
>temporary tables you are talking about, are they always there or do i have
>to create and drop them? If they always exist in the database, are they
>specific for every connection or are they global? How do i access them?

"Temporary tables" are nothing special - it's just a trick up your
sleeve, a tool in your toolbox, for handling certain situations.  You
create the temporary table when you need it, and drop it when you're
done using it.  Now in MySQL 3.23 there is explicit support for this
practice, using the CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE foo (...) statement, which
handles dropping the table for you automatically.  But essentially
it's nothing special.  You still create them and access them just like
every other table.

Tim
Thread
Subqueries, joins & select ... IN(...) search enginesDavid Lennartsson6 Aug
  • Re: Subqueries, joins & select ... IN(...) search enginesChristian Mack9 Aug
    • Re: Subqueries, joins & select ... IN(...) search enginesDavid Lennartsson9 Aug
      • Re: Subqueries, joins & select ... IN(...) search enginesThimble Smith9 Aug