List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sinisa Milivojevic Date:January 29 2002 4:31pm
Subject:Re: MySQL PASSWORD function
View as plain text
John Kemp writes:
> Hi all,
>
> I can't find a description of the algorithm used in the mySQL PASSWROD
> function. I understand it's a hashing algorithm of some kind, but I
> don't know which algorithm (and I suspect it's *not* MD5.)
>
> Can anyone tell me what algorithm PASSWORD uses? The reason I ask is
> that we're trying to implement role-based security using our existing
> MySQL table of users, accessed via Java Servlet auth functions, which
> can read the User table through JDBC. BUT.... they don't know anything
> about PASSWORD-encrypted passwords, so I need to write something that
> hashes the password entered in the same way MySQL hashes a password (or
> abandon the use of servlet auth :-)
>
> Any clues?
>
> John Kemp,
> Director, Software Development
> Streetmail Inc.
> http://www.streetmail.com

Hi!

We use our own hash algorithm with usage of salt.

Take a look at sql/password.c ...

   __  ___     ___ ____  __
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Mr. Sinisa Milivojevic <sinisa@stripped>
 / /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__   MySQL AB, Fulltime Developer
       <___/   www.mysql.com

Thread
MySQL PASSWORD functionJohn Kemp29 Jan
  • Re: MySQL PASSWORD functionDan Nelson29 Jan
  • Re: MySQL PASSWORD functionSinisa Milivojevic29 Jan
  • Re: MySQL PASSWORD functionChris Wilson29 Jan
  • RE: MySQL PASSWORD functionCarsten H. Pedersen29 Jan