List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:John Kemp Date:January 29 2002 3:59pm
Subject:MySQL PASSWORD function
View as plain text
Hi all,

I can't find a description of the algorithm used in the mySQL PASSWROD
function. I understand it's a hashing algorithm of some kind, but I
don't know which algorithm (and I suspect it's *not* MD5.)

Can anyone tell me what algorithm PASSWORD uses? The reason I ask is
that we're trying to implement role-based security using our existing
MySQL table of users, accessed via Java Servlet auth functions, which
can read the User table through JDBC. BUT.... they don't know anything
about PASSWORD-encrypted passwords, so I need to write something that
hashes the password entered in the same way MySQL hashes a password (or
abandon the use of servlet auth :-)

Any clues?

John Kemp,
Director, Software Development
Streetmail Inc.
http://www.streetmail.com

Thread
MySQL PASSWORD functionJohn Kemp29 Jan
  • Re: MySQL PASSWORD functionDan Nelson29 Jan
  • Re: MySQL PASSWORD functionSinisa Milivojevic29 Jan
  • Re: MySQL PASSWORD functionChris Wilson29 Jan
  • RE: MySQL PASSWORD functionCarsten H. Pedersen29 Jan