List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:January 28 2002 9:39pm
Subject:Re: Unix binary installations somewhere other than in /usr/local
View as plain text
At 20:51 +0000 1/28/02, John Murdie wrote:
>On 26 Jan, To: mysql@stripped wrote:
>>>  I'd like to see an explicit statement that it is possible to install a
>>  binary distribution of MySQL in some non-standard place, or not, as the
>>  case might be. If it *is* possible, I'd like to see full instructions
>>  for doing this.
>
>Thanks to the two people who sent me a reply: Jeremy Zawodny and Paul
>DuBois. Jeremy thought it was possible without a /usr/local/mysql link,
>and I recall (I subsequently lost his E-mail by accident) Paul thought
>it was not. (I hope that I've not misrepresented either of you - please
>correct me if I have!)

I'm not sure I said that it *wasn't*, but I did say that I think it's better
to just build from source if you want to put the database somewhere other
than it was built to go by default.

In any case, Jeremy said that he installs distributions all the time other
than in the default location, so clearly that provides the empirical evidence
that it's possible.

I'd still rather build from source, though. :-)

>I decided that it was probably simpler just to build from source - I'm
>on a Solaris 2.8 system - and so it proved to be. I was careful to use
>the recommended configure options.
>
>I found that I had to build in the installation directory - `make
>install' didn't copy the `scripts' sub-directory to the installation
>directory, for instance, when (in my first attempt) I unpacked the
>source in one directory (the build directory) and configured for another
>(the installation directory). For my second and successful build I made
>the build and installation directories the same. I can't find, however,
>any documentation of a command to clean the build files (e.g.
>`configure', `INSTALL-SOURCE' etc.) from the build/installation
>directory. Is there a `make tidy' or something similar? (`make clean'
>looks as if it would delete the executables!)

make distclean removes the most stuff.

>--
>
>John A. Murdie
>Experimental Officer (Software)
>Department of Computer Science
>University of York
>England

Thread
Unix binary installations somewhere other than in /usr/localJohn Murdie26 Jan
  • Re: Unix binary installations somewhere other than in /usr/localJeremy Zawodny26 Jan
  • Re: Unix binary installations somewhere other than in /usr/localJohn Murdie28 Jan
    • Re: Unix binary installations somewhere other than in /usr/localPaul DuBois28 Jan
      • Re: Unix binary installations somewhere other than in /usr/localJohn Murdie29 Jan