List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:January 27 2002 6:27am
Subject:Re: repairing corrupt tables
View as plain text
In the last episode (Jan 26), Harriet Wheeler said:
> I recently moved from Mac OS X Server 1.x (rhapsody) with MySQL 3.23.27 to
> Mac OS X 10.1 (darwin) with MySQL 3.23.47.  Due to an oversight the only db
> backups after the move were in non-gzip'd tarballs that were ftp'd in ASCII
> mode -- ugh.  Lots of missing and corrupt files.

Hmm.  MacOS to MacOS ftps in ASCII mode should not corrupt data,
assuming both ends use the Mac CR end-of-line character.

Anyhow, if you are extremely lucky, you can sometimes prefectly recover
files that were transferred in ASCII mode, but only if they went in the
expanding direction (CR -> CR/LF or LF -> CR/LF).  Simply do a binary
replace of CR/LF back to the original EOL character.  In fact, you can
even use the 'replace' command included in mysql to do it :)

Going in the other direction irrevocably loses information, so even if
you do manage to 'repair' the tables, be assured that any integer
fields will have corruption issues.

	Dan Nelson
repairing corrupt tablesHarriet Wheeler27 Jan
  • Re: repairing corrupt tablesDan Nelson27 Jan