List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martin Edelius Date:August 9 1999 1:26pm
Subject:SV: MySQL on big memory linux box - comments?
View as plain text
>This made me chuckle....I didn't realize when I was sitting on my Indy
I was
>on a real OS and when I went home to 'my business' and fired up X to my

Well, if you look closer you might spot the apostrophes I put around
real... Linux and FreeBSD does a great job but they're not perfect all
the time. Especially when it comes to monster machines like this. TCP/IP
is seldom the bottleneck in a DB server so that particular Linux flaw
might not be as troublesome but the fact that it just recently started
handling SMP and needs kernel modifications, perhaps only a simple
recompile though, to handle those amounts of memory could be things to
worry about.

There's no 'real' (see, I did it again) support for Linux either. If you
buy an UltraSparc (or whatever they're called) with the OS to go along
you know who to talk to if things start acting up. Sure, you can buy the
RedHat distro or the Suse distro but I don't think that they have the
same type of resources that for instance SUN has.

Now, I have a hard time following what you wrote but from what I can
gather you mention UnixWare as a 'real' OS, yes? I have no experience
from it, this is the first time I've heard of it so I can't comment on

The thing is though that although it has some nice specs (32 CPU's ain't
half-bad 8) it still might not be best suited for a huge Db server. It's
uninteresting that an OS supports the hardware if A) the supported
hardware has flaws that makes it less useful for what it's supposed to
do or B) the support is abysmal. Linux now supports 3D for the Riva TNT
gfx card. Great! The drivers are still alpha though and sucks compared
to the ones for "M$loth Windoze". So I can't use Linux when I need 3D

If we're talking i386 architecture have a look at the AMD Athlon as
well. It has a very different design compared to Intels current core
(PII/PII/Xeon/and so on) and will scale much better with FSB speeds of
up to 400 Mhz when there's peripheral that can handle those speeds. The
FSB right now is 200 Mhz and the entire bus is based on Digitals EV6
interface protocol. All in all it outperforms a PIII without problems
and when the high-end versions becomes available (.18 micron, 8mb L2
cache, 700+ Mhz) they'll likely to romp the Xeons as well, and most
likely keep up with Merced too.

Just because you buy a box that might sound impressive doesn't mean
you'll get the best performance out of it.

Best regards,
Martin Edelius

Spirex Digital Design

Mail: martin.edelius@stripped