List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:David S. Jackson Date:January 25 2002 6:13pm
Subject:Re: foreign key?
View as plain text
On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 12:33:59PM -0500 Gurhan Ozen <c-gurhan.ozen@stripped> wrote:
> Hi David,
> First of all, whever you have a primary key on your table, do all updates
> according to the primary key..
>  So whatever the primary key for the person you wanna do update, do
> something like:
>  update Contributors set Contact_ID = 1, Volunteer_ID = 13 where
> Contributor_ID=number;
> Also since the columns are integer data type, don't use quotes around them.
>  I hope this helps..

Yep, I removed the quotes, and it worked.

Here's another problem:  I think I'm doing an unintentional
ambiguous select:

mysql> select Item.Item_Description, Item.Retail_Value,
Item.Bid_Description, Contributors.Name from Item, Contributors
where Contributor_ID > 1;

I get the error:

ERROR 1052: Column: 'Contributor_ID' in where clause is ambiguous

So, looking again at my definitions for Contributor_ID in both
tables, I see they aren't exactly alike.  Is there a way I can
make Contributor_ID in Item refer back to the Index
(Contributor_ID) in Contributors?  I gather that just making the
data types the same is not enough?

TIA!

--
David S. Jackson                        dsj@stripped
I'm going to live forever, or die trying!