List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:August 9 1999 8:15am
Subject:MySQL 3.23.2 released
View as plain text
Hi!

3.23.2 is now released.  Those running 3.23.x should seriously consider
an upgrade :)

It will take some time (about 24 hours) before 3.23.2 is on all
mirrors, so please don't mail us if some mirror isn't up to date.

David and I will leave now for the Linux World Expo in San Jose and
then we will attend to the O'Reilly conference in Monterey.  Because if
this we may not be able to get our email's every day.  This means that if
you have problems with this version, it will take a little time before
I can provide a bug fix.  To help me doing this, I appreciate if all
bug reports for 3.23.2 are very complete so the I don't have to ask
additional questions about what could be wrong.

You can find information how to do a correct bug report at:

http://www.tcx.se/Manual_chapter/manual_Questions.html#Asking_questions

PLEASE read the above before reposting your question, this will save us all
a lot of time!

All major changes in 3.23 is now done (except replication) and I hope
that it the 3.23 will be stable soon.

Regards,
Monty

Changes in release 3.23.2
-------------------------

   * Fixed range optimizer bug: `SELECT * FROM table_name WHERE
     key_part1 >= const AND (key_part2 = const OR key_part2 = const)'.
     The bug was that some rows could be duplicated in the result.

   * Running `myisamchk' without `-a' updated the index distribution
     wrong.

   * `SET SQL_LOW_PRIORITY_UPDATES=1' gave parse error before.

   * You can now update indexes columns that are used in the `WHERE'
     clause.  `UPDATE tbl_name SET KEY=KEY+1 WHERE KEY > 100'

   * Date handling should now be a bit faster.

   * Added handling of fuzzy dates (dates where day or month is 0):
     (Like: 1999-01-00)

   * Fixed optimization of `SELECT ... WHERE key_part1=const1 AND
     key_part_2=const2 AND key_part1=const4 AND key_part2=const4' ;
     Indextype should be `range' instead of `ref'.

   * Fixed egcs 1.1.2 optimizer bug (when using BLOB:s) on Linux Alpha.

   * Fixed problem with `LOCK TABLES' combined with `DELETE FROM table'

   * MyISAM tables now allow keys on `NULL' and `BLOB/TEXT' columns.

   * The following join is now much faster: `SELECT ... FROM t1 LEFT
     JOIN t2 ON ... WHERE t2.not_null_column IS NULL'.

   * `ORDER BY' and `GROUP BY' can be done on functions.

   * Changed handling of 'const_item' to allow handling of `ORDER BY
     RAND()'.

   * Indexes are now used for `WHERE key_column = function'.

   * Indexes are now used for `WHERE key_column = column_name' even if
     the columns are not identically packed.

   * Indexes are now used for `WHERE column_name IS NULL'.

   * Changed heap tables to be stored in low_byte_first order (to make
     it easy to convert to MyISAM tables)

   * Automatic change of HEAP temporary tables to MyISAM tables in case
     of 'table is full' errors.

   * Added option `--init-file=file_name' to `mysqld'.

   * `COUNT(DISTINCT value,[value,...])'

   * `CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE' now creates a temporary table, in its own
     namespace, that is automatically deleted if connection is dropped.

   * New keywords (required for `CASE':  `CASE, THEN, WHEN, ELSE and
     END'

   * New functions `EXPORT_SET()' and `MD5()'

   * Support for the GB2312 Chinese character set.
Thread
MySQL 3.23.2 releasedMichael Widenius9 Aug