List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:James Riordon Date:January 23 2002 1:30pm
Subject:Re: Bytes sent vs. Bandwidth used
View as plain text
On Tuesday, January 22, 2002, at 08:04 PM, Jeremy Zawodny wrote:

>> All of our connections are through localhost. So what I get from
>> this is that all internal traffic on the localhost will not get
>> counted, but the final results that are sent through PHP and TCP
>> sockets will get counted.
>
> Exactly.  The MySQL <--> PHP traffic never hits a physical network
> interface, so there's nothing to count, really.
>
>> If this difference between unix domain sockets is huge compared to
>> TCP sockets, would that mean that the database queries are
>> inefficient?
>
> There's a good chance you're doing a lot of "SELECT * FROM foo" and
> only using a few of the columns which come back.
>
> Have a look thru this and see if it offers any help:
>
>   http://www.linux-mag.com/2001-06/mysql_01.html

Thanks for the help everyone. Funny, I read that just yesterday from
another post that mentioned it. It is actually not our own PHP, rather
we are using vBulletin. I will take a look through it though and see
what is up. I guess just because you pay for something does not mean
that it is well written, but before we jump to conclusions.... :o

James Riordon
System Administrator
Amigo-3 Interactive Inc.
http://www.amigo-3.com/

Thread
Bytes sent vs. Bandwidth usedJames Riordon22 Jan
  • Re: Bytes sent vs. Bandwidth usedJeremy Zawodny22 Jan
    • Re: Bytes sent vs. Bandwidth usedJames Riordon22 Jan
      • Re: Bytes sent vs. Bandwidth usedDan Nelson22 Jan
        • Re: Bytes sent vs. Bandwidth usedJames Riordon23 Jan
          • Re: Bytes sent vs. Bandwidth usedJeremy Zawodny23 Jan
            • Re: Bytes sent vs. Bandwidth usedJames Riordon23 Jan