List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:James Riordon Date:January 23 2002 12:21am
Subject:Re: Bytes sent vs. Bandwidth used
View as plain text
On Tuesday, January 22, 2002, at 01:48 PM, Dan Nelson wrote:

> In the last episode (Jan 22), James Riordon said:

>>> Is Apache/PHP on the same server as MySQL?
>>
>> Yes. We have Apache, PHP and MySQL all running on the same server.
>> Our actual throughput yesterday actually turned out to be closer to
>> 350MB but the MySQL extended-status Bytes_Sent showed around 700MB by
>> the end of the day.
>
> Do you connect via unix domain sockets (i.e. 'localhost'), or TCP
> sockets?  Unix sockets will not be counted in any TCP traffic stats.

All of our connections are through localhost. So what I get from this is
that all internal traffic on the localhost will not get counted, but the
final results that are sent through PHP and TCP sockets will get counted.

If this difference between unix domain sockets is huge compared to TCP
sockets, would that mean that the database queries are inefficient?

Many thanks again.

James Riordon
System Administrator
Amigo-3 Interactive Inc.
http://www.amigo-3.com/

Thread
Bytes sent vs. Bandwidth usedJames Riordon22 Jan
  • Re: Bytes sent vs. Bandwidth usedJeremy Zawodny22 Jan
    • Re: Bytes sent vs. Bandwidth usedJames Riordon22 Jan
      • Re: Bytes sent vs. Bandwidth usedDan Nelson22 Jan
        • Re: Bytes sent vs. Bandwidth usedJames Riordon23 Jan
          • Re: Bytes sent vs. Bandwidth usedJeremy Zawodny23 Jan
            • Re: Bytes sent vs. Bandwidth usedJames Riordon23 Jan