List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:August 8 1999 12:12pm
Subject:mysql recommendations: Linux vs. DEC UNIX for Alpha DS-20
View as plain text

Jay> We are in the process of spec'ing an Alpha DS-20 box to be our
Jay> primary database (MySQL) server for a search engine product.  We've
Jay> been developing on i386 boxes using Red Hat Linux 5.2 and 6.0.  We
Jay> were wondering if the group mind could give us some pros and cons
Jay> about using either Linux or DEC UNIX as the underlying OS and how
Jay> stable MySQL is in both environments, how responsive (i.e. priority)
Jay> bug and feature fixes are in both, etc.  Any constructive comments
Jay> will be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Hi!

There has been some problems with MySQL on Alpha with gcc, glibc and
threads.  It seams that the egcs 1.1.2 (and probably gcc 2.95) with
newest glibc library + my latest patch for the isam library (regarding
BLOB:s) should produce a stable MySQL version.

The patch will be included in MySQL 3.23.2 and MySQL 3.22.26

I haven't used DEC UNIX that much, but recent DEC UNIX versions should
be ok (as long as your gcc/egcs compiler is very new).

Regards,
Monty
Thread
mysql recommendations: Linux vs. DEC UNIX for Alpha DS-20Jay A. Johnson6 Aug
  • mysql recommendations: Linux vs. DEC UNIX for Alpha DS-20Michael Widenius8 Aug
  • Re: mysql recommendations: Linux vs. DEC UNIX for Alpha DS-20John Strange8 Aug