List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:August 8 1999 12:31pm
Subject:Re: /tmp/mysql.sock ???
View as plain text
>>>>> "FRed" == FRed  <fillon@stripped> writes:

FRed> Hi Jani,
FRed> Of course before ask to the mailling list I looked at manual (do you have a
FRed> french version of it ?) ... and the only thing I found was
FRed> "18.6 How to protect `/tmp/mysql.sock' from being deleted"
FRed> Great but /tmp is a very special directory where all is deleted every night
FRed> by ... ROOT ... with a rm -rf /tmp/* !!!!
FRed> so I would like create the "/tmp/mysql.sock" in an another directory (I
FRed> have changed the safe_mysqld) but when I did it this error occured :
FRed>    The error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
>> '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) at ../bin/mysql_setpermission line 65, <STDIN>
FRed> chunk 1.

FRed> So my question should be :  could I create the mysql.sock in a directory
FRed> like /usr/local/mysql/tmp instead of /tmp ?

Hi!

Which MySQL version are you using?
If you are using a recent MySQL 3.22 version, you can create the file
'/etc/my.cnf' with the following information:

[mysqld]
socket=/my-own-path/mysql.sock

[client]
socket=/my-own-path/mysql.sock

Another options is to recompile MySQL with the
--with-unix-socket-path=absolute-file-name or setting the
MYSQL_UNIX_PORT variable before starting the mysqld program and all
client programs.

You can of course also specify the socket that a client should use
with the --socket=path option (all standard MySQL programs takes this option)

Regards,
Monty
Thread
/tmp/mysql.sock ???FRed6 Aug
  • /tmp/mysql.sock ???Jani Tolonen7 Aug
    • Re: /tmp/mysql.sock ???FRed7 Aug
      • Re: /tmp/mysql.sock ???Jani Tolonen7 Aug
      • Re: /tmp/mysql.sock ???Michael Widenius8 Aug