List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Gerald Clark Date:January 10 2002 3:02pm
Subject:Re: command mysql -u $user without typing it - getting shafted and annoyed now.
View as plain text
How did you add the users?
If you inserted them into the user table, you are asking for trouble
unless you
understand exactly what you are doing. That is why the GRANT and REVOKE
statements were added.
Since you did not use 'identified by "somepassword"'
I'm not sure if you set one, in which case the "-p" option would cause a
failure.

Also, even though the manual states that you don't need to FLUSH PRIVILEGES
after using GRANT, I find that sometimes I do.

Matthew Darcy wrote:

>I must be going sooooo wrong here.
>
>I deleted the users and started again.
>
>added 2 users
>
>dba and matt. Both of these have the host of % (connect from anything yes ?)
>
>I then do a
>
>grant all privileges on *.* to dba@"%"
>flush privileges
>
>and
>
>grant all privileges on *.* to matt@"%"
>flush privileges
>

>then mysql -u matt -p
>gives me ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'dba@localhost' (Using
>password: YES)
>
>and I am on the local host ???
>
>what the hell is going on ???? I thougth I understood and was getting
>somewhere.
>
>obviously not.
>
>Sorry to drag this up again.
>
>Matt.

command mysql -u $user without typing it ????Matthew Darcy9 Jan
  • Re: command mysql -u $user without typing it ????Gerald Clark9 Jan
    • RE: command mysql -u $user without typing it ????Matthew Darcy9 Jan
  • Re: command mysql -u $user without typing it ????Carl Troein9 Jan
RE: command mysql -u $user without typing it ????Kam Ho9 Jan
  • RE: command mysql -u $user without typing it ????Matthew Darcy9 Jan
  • RE: command mysql -u $user without typing it - getting shafted and annoyed now.Matthew Darcy10 Jan
    • Re: command mysql -u $user without typing it - getting shafted and annoyed now.Gerald Clark16 Jan
RE: command mysql -u $user without typing it ????Kam Ho9 Jan
  • RE: command mysql -u $user without typing it ????Matthew Darcy9 Jan
    • RE: command mysql -u $user without typing it ????James Montebello9 Jan
      • RE: command mysql -u $user without typing it ????Matthew Darcy9 Jan
        • RE: command mysql -u $user without typing it ????James Montebello9 Jan
          • RE: command mysql -u $user without typing it ????Matthew Darcy10 Jan
            • Re: command mysql -u $user without typing it ????Carl Troein10 Jan
              • RE: command mysql -u $user without typing it ????Matthew Darcy10 Jan
        • RE: command mysql -u $user without typing it ????Doug Thompson10 Jan
          • RE: command mysql -u $user without typing it ????Matthew Darcy10 Jan
RE: command mysql -u $user without typing it ????Kam Ho9 Jan
RE: command mysql -u $user without typing it ????Quentin Bennett9 Jan
RE: command mysql -u $user without typing it ????Quentin Bennett10 Jan
  • RE: command mysql -u $user without typing it ????Matthew Darcy10 Jan
RE: command mysql -u $user without typing it ????Kam Ho10 Jan
  • RE: command mysql -u $user without typing it SORTED THANKS ALL !!!!Matthew Darcy10 Jan
RE: command mysql -u $user without typing it - getting shafted and annoyed now.Quentin Bennett10 Jan
  • RE: command mysql -u $user without typing it - getting shafted and annoyed now.Matthew Darcy10 Jan