List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:August 8 1999 12:07pm
Subject:Wierdness in MySQL on a Slackware system (LONG message!)..
View as plain text
>>>>> "Richard" == Richard Whittaker <richard@stripped>
> writes:

Richard> Greetings all!!
Richard> I have a really wierd problem on my Slackware box with MySQL...

Richard> When I run mysql_install_db, I get the following error message:

Richard> voyager:/usr/local/mysql# scripts/mysql_install_db
Richard> WARNING: Your libc libraries are not 100 % compatible with this MySQL version
Richard> mysqld should work normally with the exception that host name resolving
Richard> will not work.  This means that you should use IP addresses instead
Richard> of hostnames when specifying MySQL privileges !

Richard> Now, I have a locally compiled version of the glibc 2.1.1 libraries on this
Richard> machine, installed in /lib

Richard> So, with all that in mind, I apparently have to use IPs instead of
Richard> hostnames, which although a pain, isn't totally out of the question, but I
Richard> really would like to know, even with the latest versions of glibc, why my
Richard> hostname resolution routines aren't available...

Richard> Now, I have another host, ganges. which is where I want to do a query from,
Richard> so here's the output from my host table on the mysql server...

Hi!

The problem is that the MySQL binary is made on a RedHat 5.2 system
using glibc 2.0.x;  glibc 2.0.x uses (even when linked staticly)
dynamic libraries to resolve hostnames (I think this is a wrong design
decision in glibc) and if you haven't the required shared libraries,
hostname resolving will not work :(

The fix is to compile the MySQL source yourself.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Wierdness in MySQL on a Slackware system (LONG message!)..Richard Whittaker7 Aug
  • Wierdness in MySQL on a Slackware system (LONG message!)..sinisa7 Aug
  • Wierdness in MySQL on a Slackware system (LONG message!)..Michael Widenius8 Aug